Photo Credit: iStock Photo
You have always wanted to make a big change in your life. So now you are finally ready to set more ambitious goals in your personal and professional life by moving to LA. But the question is this: do you really know what this important step would actually involve? Los Angeles is not Paris, Rome or New York. The LA lifestyle could surprise you in countless ways. Need an LA survival guide to adapt to your new reality? In this case, keep reading to discover a few essential tips that will help you make the most of your stay in Los Angeles.
Get a Car. Of course, you could always hail a taxi or take the bus to work. But whether you like it or not, LA is one of those big cities with wide roads where you would feel lost and confused without a car. As a matter of fact, most drivers have developed a wide range of skills while driving and multitasking is not uncommon. Some of them actually manage to shave, apply makeup, brush their teeth and style their outfits while they are behind the wheel. Moreover, most LA residents treat their vehicles as a home on four wheels and don’t hesitate to deposit their everyday essentials in their trunks.
Make New Connections. Fast. New York is the city where you could definitely build your new life from scratch on your own. You don’t need a plus one to hold your hand or to guide you towards the best clubs, restaurants and pubs in the city. Things are very different in LA, where your experience as a newcomer will revolve around countless daily discoveries. To spot the best deals in terms of housing options, fine wining and dining and entertainment alternatives you’ll definitely need to rely on the expert advice of a friend who knows Los Angeles like the palm of his hand. If you are fairly shy and don’t have any acquaintances or relatives in this city, you could start to conduct your own research by reading LA Weekly or LA Magazine or listening to station KCRW.
Keep an Eye on the Local Real Estate Market. Assuming that you do have friends who have been living in LA for quite a long time, don’t expect to be able to crash on their couch for months in a row. After all, even the highest level of hospitality has its limits. Fantastic deals on the local real estate market are not as rare as you may be inclined to think. However, in order to identify the best offers you’ll have to check out and compare listings on a daily basis. A 1 bedroom apartment could cost you only 1,200 per month. Even the smallest decent Californian rental available in this city may give you the chance to upgrade your life. Every single day that you spend in LA can give you plenty of opportunities to rediscover yourself and grow on different levels.
If you want to spot the best rentals without investing too time and energy, let Apartment Hunterz do the research for you. By counting on the services of the largest apartment finder you could preserve your resources and get the keys to a gorgeous property that you can afford in no time.
Photo Credit: iStock Photo
The Californian real estate market is as tempting and mysterious as Santa’s bag of goodies. You are fed with the promise of more than enough square footage, drop-dead-gorgeous locations, airy rooms, modern amenities, the coolest décor and even the friendliest neighbors. But how many of these distinctive features can you actually afford? Because at the end of the day, you should know that some of the most jaw-dropping properties for rent or for sale involve hefty additional costs that you may not be able to identify and factor in at a first estimate. Super Big (and Almost Mandatory) Tips. Your building staff will receive a generous bonus during holidays and considerable tips on certain occasions. According to a Forbes article, holiday bonuses may range from 100 to 200 dollars for building managers, from $25 to 1,000 dollars (per residence) for doormen and from 25 to 75 dollars for porters and elevator operators. This may not sound like a lot of money, especially since tips do not normally represent significant monthly expenses, but a few hundreds of dollars spent around summer and winter holidays may very well add up and overbalance your budget. Expensive Amenities Requiring Maintenance. Do you think that the onsite pool and wellness center are much-needed perks that won’t cost you a dime? In this case you are terribly wrong. Luxury amenities such as meeting spaces, pools or indoor spas usually involve additional charges. Landscaping and/or Gardening Fees. You can see things this way: any additional service added to keep the rental in excellent condition and boost its appeal will cost you. Gardening and landscaping services make no exception. Since a good gardener providing affordable services may be difficult to find, you may want to stick to low-maintenance, native plants that would automatically adapt to your outdoor environment. Pet Fees. When you live in a big city like Santa Monica or San Francisco, you inevitably shed a few hundreds of dollars on pet treatments and grooming services simply because your four-legged friend deserves the finest things in life; however your landlord may be able to burn even deeper holes in your pocket by charging you extra fees (that can reach up to 500 dollar per year) for keeping Fifi on your premises. What Should You Do? All these additional fees may stop you from living the life of the rich and famous in Cali, especially when you’re not counting on a fixed and consistent source of income. Should you abandon your dream of living in a luxurious Californian rental? Not in a million years! Apartment Hunterz will help you find a cute and affordable upscale property that is actually in your price range in less than a week. Have faith in the expertise, skills and connections of the largest Californian apartment finder and enjoy a simpler house hunt that will also put less pressure on your finances.
Photo Credit: iStock Photo
Sometimes, your ties with your landlord remind you of the confusing relationship that you have with your in-laws: no matter how hard you would try to please them, it seems that you’re constantly pushing the wrong buttons. While you can’t choose your family members, you have plenty of freedom when it comes to selecting your landlord. Is that right? Well technically, it is. Nonetheless, finding an affordable high-class Californian rental can be quite challenging, especially if you’re conducting the search on your own and if you’re targeting some of the most popular and prosperous cities in Cali. Dreaming of relocating to San Francisco, Santa Monica, Los Angeles or Hollywood but can’t afford to shed around 4,000 dollars per month on a 2-bedroom home? Here’s how you can cultivate a mutually beneficial relationship with your current landlord, so you would never have to move out and find a pricier Californian rental.
- Pay Your Rent on Time. This may sound like a no-brainer, but do your best to pay your dues on time. Nobody likes tenants who can’t keep their side of the bargain. Nonetheless, at some point a certain unpredicted situation could stop you from paying rent on time. In this case, instead of trying to bury your head in the sand, discuss your options with your renter. You could pay a certain percentage of what you owe and let your landlord know the date when you could liquidate the rest of your debt. Honesty and good communication skills will get you very far. While going down this road you may be able to make a few first steps towards an advantageous arrangement or a temporary rent reduction.
- Keep the Place in Excellent Condition. If you still think that you can trash a place simply because you pay rent to live there, now would probably be a good time to revise your opinion. A careless lifestyle and a zero-rental maintenance policy will only make you waste energy and money in the long run and force you to redirect all your resources towards the end-of-tenancy general cleaning process. Therefore, clean, dust, vacuum, wash and polish everything on a regular basis. This proactive attitude will help you prevent unplanned expenses. Also, do not neglect minor problems requiring timely repairs. An old rusty pipe that is left as is could cause a major leak, leading to destroyed carpeting and an extensive mold contamination; and this is definitely not a picture that your landlord would want to see.
- Be a Good Neighbor. Are you lucky enough to live in one of the hottest California-based apartment units? In this case, note that isolation is not a part of the deal. You will share the same environment with other people so you will have to do your best to respect their schedules and privacy. Work closely with your landlord to solve potential neighborly disputes before they become a real problem.
When you feel ready to write a new chapter in your life by moving, don’t forget that you will still have to handle the end of tenancy general cleaning process. If you can’t deal with it on your own, remember that you could always spend a little bit of money on professional cleaning services.
Are you worried that you may not be able to find the perfect letter in Cali? Apartment Hunterz can put you in contact with some of the most reliable and trustworthy landlords and help you spot the most advantageous deals on the local rental market in only a few days.
Photo Credit: iStock Photo
You’ve always wanted to leave the small town lifestyle behind and move to a big city that could support some of your most ambitious goals. At this point, you are flirting with the idea of relocating to San Francisco. You’ve heard the news. San Francisco is known as a potent tech hub that is permanently recruiting and training a specialized workforce. If you were to move to Cali to kickstart your carrier, you would probably have the highest odds of success in this particular city. You also know that San Francisco is adding great jobs faster than any other U.S.-based city. Therefore, if unemployment is one of your worst fears, chances are that you will manage to overcome this issue in this highly developed, carrier-friendly area. Need another reason to pack your bags and get on the next flight to San Francisco? If so, just keep reading to discover some interesting facts that will support your decision to relocate.
- Great Parks and Public Art. Have you ever wondered why the big city life can make you feel so overly stressed and tired? The answer is right in front of your eyes: the grayish concrete jungle often exposes you to many overlooked risk factors, including elevated noise and pollution levels and traffic congestions that could amplify your anxiety. On the other hand, San Francisco is all about greenery and cute parks representing an oasis of relaxation in the center of a thriving urban area. Dolores Park, Presidio and Golden Gate Park may very well represent your escape from reality where you could spend your lunch break or a quiet evening surrounded by green spaces and public art.
- San Francisco’s Endless Entertainment Options Nourish People’s Souls. Art and culture lovers see the San Francisco Bay Area as an extremely stimulating environment, where they can attend literary events and enjoy art and live music performances. In short, San Francisco is well-liked for its diverse entertainment offerings that can ward off depression and anxiety and promote a better general state of health.
- San Francisco Is the Place Where You Could Find a Convenient Rental. San Francisco has also made a name for itself for its organic markets, health-oriented leisure activities and the active lifestyle that it enables its residents to adopt and preserve. Wouldn’t you like to bond with such healthy, happy people and share the secret of their wellbeing? If the answer is yes, you should know that San Francisco is a great place to find exceptional accommodation options. You could actually identify an elegant 500 square feet apartment with 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom, which won’t cost you more than $2,700/month.
To be honest, you may have to struggle a big to find a cute, cozy place in your price range. Nonetheless, by counting on the largest Californian apartment finder, you could simplify your search and spot the best San Francisco rental in a matter of days and completely stress-free. Apartment Hunterz can lift this burden off your shoulders and help you get the keys to a fabulous apartment or house in record time.
Photo Credit: iStock Photo
We totally get it: it took you half a year to find this convenient rental in downtown LA. You like it a lot and most importantly, you can actually afford it! You would actually love it, if it weren’t for that old flooring material, those cracked walls and that tasteless furniture that makes you feel like you’re stuck somewhere between the 20s and the 30s. How can you eliminate or at least reduce these drawbacks without having to move? If your landlord has a strict “no improvements” policy that isn’t exactly in your favor, keep reading to discover three cheap and very simple rental makeover ideas that you could apply on your own without taking any chances.
Minimize the Visual Impact of a Mediocre Wall Painting Job
You can make the dull color seem less upsetting by creating your personal happy corner. Paint an old bookshelf in happy colors and let it store some of your most valuable (and colorful) souvenirs. A few seashells, a couple of peacock feathers, two or three classy metallic photo frames and half a dozen marbles can decorate even the dullest furniture piece and give it a nice personal touch.
Use Cowhides to Mask Unappealing Wall-to-wall Carpeting
OK, let’s get one thing straight: you can’t just get rid of that appalling wall-to-wall carpeting without discussing this ambitious plan with your landlord. If he has strict rules and guidelines, you might as well assume that he will vote against this project, so what does your plan B sound like? If the current carpeting material is a real eyesore, you could camouflage its unaesthetic, annoyingly uniform aspect by placing an area rug with low tripping potential on top of it. For a wow effect, try cowhides; these pieces blend in extremely well and work best for most interior décor styles.
Rely on Renter-Friendly Tape to Create and Display Your Own Photo Gallery
All the spaces that you inhabited managed to reflect your personal style, taste and artsy inclinations. Unfortunately, your landlord isn’t the biggest fan of your creativity and redesign ideas. He is completely reluctant to change and would never approve a project involving wall drilling or chipping. Does this mean that you have to say goodbye to all those beautiful artistic photos that you have been collecting for years in a row? Not necessarily! Instead of trying to convince your landlord that his walls should be nails and hammer-friendly, use Japanese Washi tape to display your favorite artworks on your walls. This safe alternative comes in different color schemes and will automatically brighten your indoor space and make it seem more welcoming and cool.