Apartment Renting Hacks That Can Make Your Life a Whole Lot Easier
Young adults who have lived with their parents all their life may be having a hard time trying to leave the nest. Nonetheless, at some point they will have to find a way to cut the umbilical cord, while getting ready to go to college, move to another city or state or simply rent an apartment in California, get a great first job and discover the perks of an independent lifestyle. In theory, all this sounds great. However, first-time tenants are usually under a lot of stress, associated with a small budget, high expectations or a superficial understanding of the local real estate market. Don’t let all these negative aspects spoil your first house hunt. Count on the unconditional support provided by Apartment Hunterz to find the best listings in your favorite parts of Cali and apply the easy apartment renting hacks listed below to increase your level of comfort before, during and after your apartment search.
- Finding the Right Place
- Rely on Both Offline and Online Channels to Find the Best Offers. California takes pride in a diverse and sometimes very surprising real estate market, which offers both luxurious multimillion dollar homes and modest condos that are perfect for students and young families. Taking into consideration the great variety of options that you should explore while trying to rent a house or apartment, it would be wise to employ multiple tactics to get the keys to a nice place. A combination of online research, word-of-mouth and offline investigations could bring you closer to the successful house hunt that you have been planning all along.
- Count on a Reliable Apartment Finding Service. When you have limited time on your hands, you can’t just depend on your friends to find a new roof over your head. At the same time, when you’re short on cash, you may not want to spend a fortune on the services offered by a local realtor. In this context, what’s the best thing that you could do? Here’s an idea: team up with California’s biggest apartment finder. By doing so, you will be able to analyze and compare listings on a daily basis, save your searches, contact reliable landlords and property managers in real time, with a few clicks, submit your application online and schedule a face-to-face meeting.
- Compare Different Listings Based on Your Specific Criteria. Using the same type of apartment finding service you could actually anticipate and understand Californian real estate trends. Just think about it: Apartment Hunterz lets you compare all rentals matching your specific criteria, available in your preferred Californian cities. This is the simplest way to evaluate different alternatives, based on their location, price tag and features, and also based on the feedback that you get from the landlord/property manager after your first contact.
- Making the Most of a Good Deal
- Read Your Rental Agreement Very Carefully. Once you find the Californian rental that makes your heart skip a beat, put some of the most important aspects of your contract in writing. This is a foolproof method to avoid potential scams and misunderstandings.
- Make Sure Your Rental of Choice Is in Your Price Range. Keep in mind that you shouldn’t spend more than 30% of your income on an accommodation option. After all, there are several other expenses that you will have to cope with on a monthly basis, including utility bills, groceries, clothes and others. Put all these costs on paper and make sure that your rental of choice lets you save enough money to be able to live comfortably from one paycheck to another.
- Find the Simplest Way to Reduce Housing Expenses. Install energy-efficient appliances, turn down the heat/AC, make the most of natural lighting instead of keeping your property lit at all times and make sure your walls are properly insulated to reduce your monthly expenses associated with your Californian rental. If these simple tips don’t do the trick for you and you don’t want to start looking for a smaller and cheaper place, just get a roommate and start sharing the costs.
- Establish (and Maintain) a Good Relationship with Your Landlord. Choose to rent a property allowing you to deal with a landlord whom you could reach at all times, if needed. This will help you communicate efficiently with your property owner and avoid potential dissensions linked to requested repairs, renegotiations, security deposit and various other delicate topics.
- Eliminating Safety and Security Concerns
- Ask Your Landlord to Change the Locks (If Needed). Worried that the previous tenants may constitute a safety threat? If your fear is backed by pertinent reasons, don’t hesitate to ask your landlord to change the looks.
- Hang the Most Important Emergency Numbers Where You Can See Them. By reaching the right authorities in a timely fashion you could reduce losses triggered by a natural or man-made risk factor.
- Install a Cheap DIY Security System. These days, you can find hundreds of online tutorials showing you how to keep risks at bay by crafting and installing a basic DIY security system. Get inspired and implement the easiest method to stay safe.
- Install Smoke Detectors. Also, you may want to check your existing smoke detectors on a regular basis. Old, worn out batteries could impact their functionality, exposing you to considerable safety risks.
- Learn How to Prevent Some of the Most Common Emergency Situations. Do a little bit of research to identify the most common risk factors present in your ZIP code and in your home. For instance, is your area prone to earthquakes or inclement weather conditions? Are there are potential fire hazards in your home, or any other hidden dangers that you should be aware of? You can solve this puzzle by conducting a thorough home inspection before signing on the dotted line.
A first apartment search will always be a little intimidating. If you wish to spot the best deals without investing hours in in-depth research, hiring a realtor or exposing yourself to costly scams, choose to find a lovely Californian house or apartment with help from Apartment Hunterz, the real estate expert that can turn any home hunt into a marvelous experience.