How to Select the Perfect Waterfront Property in California in a Few Easy Steps
People who live in California have all the reasons in the world to wake up with a big smile on their faces. After all, they count on beautiful weather year-round, have some of the most amazing entertainment options worldwide and can easily choose from luxurious pieces of real estate that are hunted down by a plethora of wealthy international buyers. Assuming that you have enough money in the bank to get the keys to a lavishing oceanfront property for an indefinite period of time, what are the main aspects that you should consider when it comes to selecting the perfect house for you and your loved ones? Here are six essential elements that you could use as selection criteria to simplify your search for the perfect piece of waterfront Californian real estate.
- Purpose. How do you plan to use the high-end property in the first place? Would you like to own it or rent it for a few weeks, months or years in a row? Moreover, would you use it as your primary residence or as a home away from home? Last but not least, would you buy the place for yourself or would you be eager to rent out the waterfront house to supplement your income? Do keep in mind that a bit home remodeling may be required before actually embarking on a quest to find the perfect tenants. Also, depending on how often you are planning on using the property, you can afford to be more or less picky when weighing different options. For example, you shouldn’t be in a hurry to purchase an expensive Californian property that is not 100% compatible with your needs and wishes; ownership involves a higher level of commitment, plus it may be difficult for you to sell your house at a profit in today’s market. On the other hand, a Californian rental that satisfies your basic needs in terms of comfort might do for a very limited period of time.
- Hobbies. Waterfront properties are perfect for people who embrace an active lifestyle and have more than a few beach-related hobbies. In this case, the key is to go for a property that will make it easier for you to enjoy your pastimes. For instance, enthusiastic fishermen will appreciate pieces of real estate ensuring easy access to the ocean. Those who are very fond of boating will most likely direct their attention towards spacious properties enabling them to store their boats in excellent conditions. At the same time, those who think that canoeing and kayaking are among the most relaxing sports known to man will definitely value privacy a great deal and go for secluded pieces of real estate that keep them close to the water, but far from the madding crowd. For this category of homebuyers or tenants, busy waters counting dozens of ski jets are not the most welcoming environment that they could imagine. On the contrary, they are constantly looking for more isolated corners of paradise that could reinforce their connection with Mother Nature.
- Square Footage. When it comes to selecting the perfect waterfront property, size matters a great deal for two main reasons: costs and comfort. First of all, you wouldn’t want to overspend on a property that is too big or too small for you. Also, a house that is too spacious for your current needs will most likely lead to greater maintenance costs and utility bills that you may not be ready to deal with. Comfort is an equally important aspect. An apartment or house that can’t accommodate all your relatives and/or guests may not represent such a good deal after all, in the long term. Nobody likes to share the room with other family members or sleep on inflatable mattresses for more than a weekend.
- Location and Price Tag. California has more than a few gorgeous cities where prospects could spot a fair share of beachfront properties designed to satisfy any fantasy. The thing is that such rentals vary a great deal in price based on their specific location. For instance, in Huntington Beach you could find modern apartments for rent in the $1,750 – $3,050 range. Forbes reveals that Santa Monica, Santa Barbara and La Jolla are listed among the most popular vacation destinations with the most expensive beachfront property markets. According to the same source, even the most modest bungalow located in these areas could cost you more than $1.6 million. In this context, even renting a vacation home in such locations may be off-limits, so weigh all valid options in an objective manner before making any phone calls.
- Feel free to select and rate different Californian vacation rentals based on the amenities that they offer. If you count on a big budget, you can target some of the most sought-after upscale details, such as rooftop terraces with fire pits, indoor and outdoor heated pools, game rooms and onsite gyms and wellness centers. On the other hand, if money is tight, you may want to put the amenities with the highest practical value above the ones that only satisfy your caprices and take a lot of money from your wallet. For instance, instead of hunting down rentals with onsite fitness centers and pet spas, you may want to settle for a nice, clean and welcoming waterfront house or apartment with a fully furnished kitchen and in-unit washer and dryer.
- Pet Policy. When you own a place, you never have to worry about the ways in which your beloved four-legged friend could damage your property and/or personal belongings. On the other hand, when you’re renting a house, you’re dealing with a completely different story. This is precisely why you should analyze the owner’s pet policy very carefully before signing on the dotted line. If you can’t imagine your summer vacation without your Fido and your landlord is determined to stick to his no-pets policy, then you will definitely have to focus on finding another house or apartment that is pet-friendly and meets the rest of your conditions.
If you don’t want to complicate your existence and wish to find the perfect waterfront property in less than a week, count on the support offered by Apartment Hunterz. California’s largest apartment finder will bring you the freshest listings and provide the expert guidance that you may require to narrow down your search make a smart decision in no time.